Skip to main content

My Experience with Photography Equipment

My First DSLR Camera
Ive decided to write about the photography equipment which I have used throughout my life. I dont have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to photography but I have been interested in it for the past 5 years or so. I remember the first camera I got was a Finepix s4000 which its quite a chunky DSLR style camera with a very simply design and performance. This camera got me through the Art and Design btec course with some great results, it introduced me to the world of DSLR cameras. This camera only has 14 megapixel which doesn't sound like a lot nowadays for a camera, given that most phone cameras are far better. My current phone has a 12 megabytes camera which is quite impressive, but their are some camera phones out there like the Huawei P20 that have a massive 40 Megapixel primary camera, which is pretty insane for a camera phone.

My experience with Camera Phones

Taken with an iPhone 4.
5 megapixel camera
 This was taken around the time I first started to play around with filters
The first camera phone I owned only had a 2 Megapixel camera, which I got way back in high school. It was blurry, wouldn't focus and the image quality was incredibly grainy, but back then I didn't have anything to compare it to, so I thought it was brilliant. Further down the line I got an iPhone 4 which was a big difference in camera quality with a 5 megapixel camera. I used to take pictures on the go and videos of gigs. This was when I started to be a little more creative with my shots and played around with filters



Camera phone Samsung s7
12 megapixels
Finepix s4000 DSLR camera
14 megapixels



I took these two photographs while I was typing up this report. They both have good things and bad things about them from my first glance. The camera has captured more information thanks to the much wider lense but the phone has a much crisper image thanks to the larger simgle picture design. But the phone has also captured more of a glare from the computer screen which the DSLR camera seems to have defused. Another thing I have noticed is that the DSLR has deeper colours which has hidden some details but it still makes for a good image. I much prefer the phone mainly because of the practicality, and the way that I can upload photographs instantly without having to transfer images from one thing to another, like I have to do with my DSLR camera.

Samsung  Galaxy S7 Camera Phone
This is my current go to camera, ive gotten some great results with this camera phone and because its a phone, its so much easier to take from place to place than my bigger bulker camera, as I touched on before. The Galaxy S7 duo camera comes with something they call Dual Pixel autofocus. So from what ive read, Dual Pixel is the same technology that top smartphones, DSLRs and mirrorless cameras have been using for quite some time in one form or the other. Which makes this the perfect camera for me, mainly because I don't have a lot of money and I don't want to buy an expensive high end camera. 
Image taken from:

The main thing that bothers me about phones nowadays is that no matter when you buy your phone, theres always a better version released soon after. But ive had my Galaxy S7 for quite a while and its still going strong even though their are superior camera phones out there. Ive been able to create my surreal photographs and ive captured some crisp photographs while using this phone during my time at the Borders College.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Landscape Paintings report

For this report, we are to choose two paintings with a different style and respond to them and compare. I have chosen work by John Constable and Casper David Friedrich. I am very familiar with John Constable's work as I have admired it for years. He is an inspiration to me in regards to painting landscapes and I strive to be as detailed as him one day. I feel like I need to learn more about the media and understand what media is best for what I want to do. Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (1818) – Caspar David Friedrich Oil on Canvas Casper David Friedrich is another artist who I think about a lot. He is a fantastic landscape painter from the 19th century  who was part of the German Romantic movement and is considered as one of the most important painters of that time. I chose to talk about this painting mainly because of the feeling I get when I look at it. It gives me a great sense of freedom and peace which I love. It makes me wish that I was the one standing on top of the

Constructing Gender

The basis of Constructing gender is to do with society and culture creating gender roles, and these roles are prescribed as ideal or appropriate behavior for a person of that specific sex. when this comes to art, a lot of artist rebel against this idea and they make strong statement through their work. I will touch upon this within this report. Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair Frida Kahlo (Mexican, 1907–1954) 1940. Oil on canvas, 15 3/4 x 11" (40 x 27.9 cm) This Painting at first glance gives me a feeling of a very strong woman who is making a statement about how woman are forced to look. she has cut her hair short and she is wearing a very masculine suit. It is like she is saying she stating that she is not going to be held down by what society tells her to do or how she should look I read that Frida Kahlo cut her hair short a month after her divorce from fellow artist Diego Rivera, and she painted this self-portrait soon after. She depicte

Project Brief

For this Unit we were to write out our own briefs. So I decided to go off of the layout of most of the briefs that we get on the course which I wrote out in my notebook. Ive decided to upload it onto here for easy access. This is what I came up with. Project Brief I am  going to create work related to the chosen theme - Me I will  be doing a series of drawings and experiments related to my Surrealist photography work. I will also be doing be researching relevant materials that are suitable for the type of sculptures I want to create. As well as referencing relevant artists I will then go on to do small conceptual sculptures of my ideas in order to get a solid idea of what I want to create, on a bigger more life like scale. The only thing I will struggle with is the time restraint. It takes a long time to plan and execute sculpture ideas. I'm hoping that if I keep my ideas small and realistic, I will overcome this obstacle. Week 1 and 2 I will be planing out this brief