Skip to main content

Landscape Paintings report

For this report, we are to choose two paintings with a different style and respond to them and compare. I have chosen work by John Constable and Casper David Friedrich. I am very familiar with John Constable's work as I have admired it for years. He is an inspiration to me in regards to painting landscapes and I strive to be as detailed as him one day. I feel like I need to learn more about the media and understand what media is best for what I want to do.


Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (1818)
Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (1818) – Caspar David Friedrich
Oil on Canvas

Casper David Friedrich is another artist who I think about a lot. He is a fantastic landscape painter from the 19th century  who was part of the German Romantic movement and is considered as one of the most important painters of that time. I chose to talk about this painting mainly because of the feeling I get when I look at it. It gives me a great sense of freedom and peace which I love. It makes me wish that I was the one standing on top of the mountain looking out at the sea of fog. I love the idea of escaping to a quiet solitude like this where I can be alone with my thoughts.


View on the Stour Near Dedham
by John Constable
Oil on Canvas

He put a lot of work into this, starting it in the autumn and painting it over the winter and finishing it in the spring, its based upon a sketch that was altered a number of times. I personally like working this way and I plan on working more like this in the future during the painting unit in college. I was drawn to this painting because of the romantic nature of it. Constable honors nature in his paintings and celebrates it. This is the approach that I like to take whenever I do landscape paintings. I have so much to learn in order to achieve the same kind of feel as this painting.


I believe that both of these artist celebrate nature in a different way. Friedrich tries to harness a certain atmosphere within his paintings. Constable goes in a similar way with his but he doesn't focus so much on the atmosphere but more of a documentation of the landscape around him, almost like his journey through the England landscape. Some people dont connect with John Constable's work but I do. I find it mesmerizing an so skillfully done, It inspires me to pursue landscape art which I think is a fantastic effect to have on the viewer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructing Gender

The basis of Constructing gender is to do with society and culture creating gender roles, and these roles are prescribed as ideal or appropriate behavior for a person of that specific sex. when this comes to art, a lot of artist rebel against this idea and they make strong statement through their work. I will touch upon this within this report. Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair Frida Kahlo (Mexican, 1907–1954) 1940. Oil on canvas, 15 3/4 x 11" (40 x 27.9 cm) This Painting at first glance gives me a feeling of a very strong woman who is making a statement about how woman are forced to look. she has cut her hair short and she is wearing a very masculine suit. It is like she is saying she stating that she is not going to be held down by what society tells her to do or how she should look I read that Frida Kahlo cut her hair short a month after her divorce from fellow artist Diego Rivera, and she painted this self-portrait soon after. She depicte

Project Brief

For this Unit we were to write out our own briefs. So I decided to go off of the layout of most of the briefs that we get on the course which I wrote out in my notebook. Ive decided to upload it onto here for easy access. This is what I came up with. Project Brief I am  going to create work related to the chosen theme - Me I will  be doing a series of drawings and experiments related to my Surrealist photography work. I will also be doing be researching relevant materials that are suitable for the type of sculptures I want to create. As well as referencing relevant artists I will then go on to do small conceptual sculptures of my ideas in order to get a solid idea of what I want to create, on a bigger more life like scale. The only thing I will struggle with is the time restraint. It takes a long time to plan and execute sculpture ideas. I'm hoping that if I keep my ideas small and realistic, I will overcome this obstacle. Week 1 and 2 I will be planing out this brief