Skip to main content

Creative Process - Annie Mulvey

I decided to do a report on my former class mate, Annie Mulvey. She has excelled in the world of art and has gone onto win a few awards along the way. It was so great to have a catch up with her and see her process. these are the questions and answers.

1) Was moving and studying in Aberdeen an easy decision for you? 


 Yes I think so... in regards of a want to continue to learn and be creative, it was only difficult in the sense that doing art and being creative wasn't a stable career, with a 9-5. When I went to the open day at Gray's I just knew thats where my artist career would flourish. I just felt at home walking the halls on an open day, so that made the decision way easier. It was hard being  away from home, away from what I knew but it mean't I could learn and keep doing creative things.


2) How would you describe your time at Gray's School of art? how challenging was it?  


A journey. It was hard, euthoric, tiring, stressful, uplifing and wonderful. Every year had its struggles ofcourse - they say repeatedly in first year they are there to make us as young artists feel uncomfortable.  As thats how you challenge you aesthetic and your beliefs about art going into the school. Third year, I found the most difficult as you have no direction, you have to pursue your own ideas, your own aesthetic and be able to justify that. It was like your going round and round in a maze without finding the exit, however your getting closer and closer. 4th year is the journey to the exit. 

Though there is stress, you can confidently justify your decisions and everything sort of rounds up. Looking back on it, I can see why certain things were taught and how they pushed everyone. However in the moment your always so confused and anxious as there is new situations to be in everyday. The people around me within my time there helped a lot, you become a group; bouncing ideas of each other, helping each other out, talking about everything which is so fun and helpful.



3) Would you say your style and approach has changed since your time at the Borders College, way back in 2012? (feels like aaages ago)


God yes. In college being creative was more like a kid in a chocolate factory. I was way more naïve back in college though you could say in the long run I'm naïve still to this day, just less naïve and I think way more resourceful in my work.  It was more a dabble in everything going through all these different mediums however sticking to one overall theme that I needed an escape and a release from. Now, though obviously I get joy from experimenting and playing around with different mediums. I think my approach is more methodical, and its more critically and contextually aware. I've always been very reasearch based within my work, cause I find these things interesting, and they spur on my work and creative process. But I'm way more self critical – I can have some thing infront of me dismiss it instantly, whilst before I felt like I just went with what came first and work on that.

Don't know if thats good or bad.

Also I know my work has always been very abstract (hate that word) but now I think that comes from an editing of the figurative rather than abstract - in the way of the properties of the paint externalising my subconsious.
Also I found that my take on the world is very abstract, I like playing around visually with what I see before me. But also using materials that wont be perfect in their representation of something furthers my joy and style of work.


4) I went back to one of your earlier blog posts back in 2015, where you were submitting your work for your first semester. 
You displayed a number of powerful stylized work to do with the sight of vaginas during menstruation. I think it was incredible work. Do you ever get really nervous about displaying this kind of work? or do you find it empowering in a way? 


Not really nervous, because there is always people out there doing more dramatic, and provoking work. As long it is doing something to its own cause and within a context then its fine (its your own artistic dialogue), if its done just to make people gasp, then its not been thought through then its got less integrity.

I think because as well that it is a very normal day to day for women, made it easier. People who did find it “shocking” I just giggled, as its such normal thing that only really needs to be destigmatised the the older generation and men. Those pieces as well are now other things, one which was in New Blood. Lol.

 I'm more nervous of displaying work I produce now as I've invested more into it, though I generally don't like the work I make that puts a nervous edge onto my work cause you have to detatch from it to put it “out there”, and generally now I can't.

5) I've noticed that you have played around with other media, like film for your Autobiography Project. I remember you mainly from the paintings you did at the college, I know from the New Blood exhibition that you do more sculptural installations now, which is great! but I was wondering what other things you've tried and really enjoyed since?

 
Difficult question! I mean I enjoy trying different things, and all other forms of art exist within my practice and research though you may not see it. Photography is a big part of my practice, within the research area of creating, and printmaking is also something I loved doing as its such a skill and production. However the main thing that has really grown on me is drawing which is such a overlooked skill within being creative, but its an effective tool which can create new narratives and compositions, if you be free with it.



6) You've had your work in a number of different exhibits and you've won some great awards from what I've been told. Did you expect all this to happen? (personally, I'm extremely happy about what you've achieved?
No, I mean its always so crazy, when I've been invited to exhibit or given an award. You don't expect it, you hope that maybe one day you will, but I try not to because that takes over, and you end up disapointed. I'm very honoured to have been given them, but I'm trying not make them define my worth as an artist. But its cool.



7) I've notice that you have been working in a job while doing your art. I found it hard to find the balance between my artwork and my job. Have you been able to find the right balance do you think?

How do still earn enough money to survive, have enough time to spend in the studio and still have a life? Yeah its difficult! In college or uni, all your focus is on art and trying to be creative as possible. And in any spare time your trying to earn some money. It's a main reason I wanted to be outwith education for a second to be able to try and figure out that balance. Because its took its time and I know the ratio of working: social: studio that will be benefical. Every week its different, and there are things that come up that takes your time away from the studio. You have to make sacrifices, and the next week take your time to include studio. It's a difficult one to get to and its different to each individual.


8) What would be your creative process when you start a new project? is it heavily research-based all the way through or do you have a different approach?  


I think it starts with an annoyance, or a recurring thought. But majoritivley it's research based, though research is also creating, and drawing and model making is my research.  I would say its very heavy in research, because its threaded through the entire process until the very end. At some point I try to ignore reaserch and make decisions based on composition and aesthetic, however I always feelinspired through research.

9) Do you have any projects lined up or do you have something that you're working on just now? 


I've got a solo show at somepoint this year at The & Gallery, Edinburgh, so I'm slowing aiming to produce 20-ish works for that. I'm continuing on with things from new blood and my exhibition with my friend Alison Gray, on the same kind of theme/ topic. And Alison and myself are trying to setup another exhibition in glasgow so trying to organise our own show again, takes its time.


10) What advice would you give an artist like myself who has yet to take the plunge and dive into a university


If you want to continue to learn, and be challenged then I would say university is a good route to go for you. It's difficult but it was so fun and such a learning curve. You mature as an artist, and as a person getting pushed outwith your comfort zone in a good way. And you meet a bunch of people who become your university family, who lean on you for support and you lean onto aswell.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Landscape Paintings report

For this report, we are to choose two paintings with a different style and respond to them and compare. I have chosen work by John Constable and Casper David Friedrich. I am very familiar with John Constable's work as I have admired it for years. He is an inspiration to me in regards to painting landscapes and I strive to be as detailed as him one day. I feel like I need to learn more about the media and understand what media is best for what I want to do. Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (1818) – Caspar David Friedrich Oil on Canvas Casper David Friedrich is another artist who I think about a lot. He is a fantastic landscape painter from the 19th century  who was part of the German Romantic movement and is considered as one of the most important painters of that time. I chose to talk about this painting mainly because of the feeling I get when I look at it. It gives me a great sense of freedom and peace which I love. It makes me wish that I was the one standing on top of the

Constructing Gender

The basis of Constructing gender is to do with society and culture creating gender roles, and these roles are prescribed as ideal or appropriate behavior for a person of that specific sex. when this comes to art, a lot of artist rebel against this idea and they make strong statement through their work. I will touch upon this within this report. Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair Frida Kahlo (Mexican, 1907–1954) 1940. Oil on canvas, 15 3/4 x 11" (40 x 27.9 cm) This Painting at first glance gives me a feeling of a very strong woman who is making a statement about how woman are forced to look. she has cut her hair short and she is wearing a very masculine suit. It is like she is saying she stating that she is not going to be held down by what society tells her to do or how she should look I read that Frida Kahlo cut her hair short a month after her divorce from fellow artist Diego Rivera, and she painted this self-portrait soon after. She depicte

Project Brief

For this Unit we were to write out our own briefs. So I decided to go off of the layout of most of the briefs that we get on the course which I wrote out in my notebook. Ive decided to upload it onto here for easy access. This is what I came up with. Project Brief I am  going to create work related to the chosen theme - Me I will  be doing a series of drawings and experiments related to my Surrealist photography work. I will also be doing be researching relevant materials that are suitable for the type of sculptures I want to create. As well as referencing relevant artists I will then go on to do small conceptual sculptures of my ideas in order to get a solid idea of what I want to create, on a bigger more life like scale. The only thing I will struggle with is the time restraint. It takes a long time to plan and execute sculpture ideas. I'm hoping that if I keep my ideas small and realistic, I will overcome this obstacle. Week 1 and 2 I will be planing out this brief