Skip to main content

How I do My Surreal Photography



I wanted to make a post about my process of creating these strange and unusual images. This direction I took for my photography unit started after being given a theme for a homework assignment called reverie. I took this theme and interpreted it into into what you see here. Basically Im trying to bring my dreamlike ideas to life through my photography. I think about what would freak me out and what would create the most impact on other people




A lot of my ideas start with a quick sketch, to try and visualize how I want the image to look. I dont usually give my images a title on purpose, I like the viewer to interpret my images in their own way. on of my images was chosen to feature on a poster for mental health. Its a non-profit organisation called One Step Borders. The image where I am taking off the mask, was made after my work was chosen to feature on the poster. So for that particular image with the mask, I tried to think more about what mental health means to me. I feel like a lot of people suffer from it and the damage is unseen. We act like everything is okay and we aren't hurting inside, that's where the mask comes into play. I felt like the scars signify the unseen damage of the mental mood we experience.


So to start creating one of these images, I take a series of photographs that correspond to the overall image or drawing ive created. for this image above, I had been looking a lot at eyes at the time. So I took a photograph of my eye, then I studied the image to determine how I can make up the image I wanted from my head.Eyes fascinate me and also scare me. They are the most vulnerable part of the body and I almost have a sort of phobia to having things stuck in my eye. So I took that thought further and created this horrifying image. I decided on hands because it was such an odd thing to appear from the eye, which is what I strive to create. Almost like Dada themed image, which is something I seem to gravitate towards a lot ive noticed.

I then had the idea of using fabric to grab onto that would imitate the skin of my eyelids. I then take the images to an app on my phone called Sketchbook pro, which is similar to photoshop but has less features. I layered up the photos and erased the parts that I didn't want in the final image, which revealed the image I wanted. I make it sound a little bit more simpler than it is, but theirs a lot of tweaking involved that is very time consuming. Making the image as convincing as possible is key to creating the illusion, if it isn't convincing enough then it gives it a lot less impact and i could lose the interest of the viewer quickly.


For some of my images, I include other objects into the image like this one with the lightbulb fitting. I had the idea of having my hands as multiple tools that are related to what I mostly do with my hands. This was really just a play around to create a quirky image.




I started to look more into creating a dream-like world in my imagery with my latest photograph. A lot of editing was involved in this one and I did use photoshop this time. This took me roughly 3 hours to do with a lot of fiddling involved to get it right. This image was inspired by how I felt over the Christmas break. I felt stuck and lost at the same time, which made me feel very down, creating this image helped me express how I felt. I'm starting to get more used to expressing my emotions in my work and its actually very therapeutic, which is a plus.


Now that the Photography Unit is about to end, I will continue doing these kinds of photographs, but I want to take my ideas further into sculpture. The image above is one of the quick experiments I have tried for My Project Unit, where I create my own Unit Brief. I'm excited to evolve my ideas into a sculpture and see where that takes me. I might blend both of them together eventually and create some sort of 3 dimensional sculpture using photographs

I really love working like this and unleashing the surreal side of my mind. I find that having them black and white helps a lot to create a deep atmospheric look. Having them black and white  also makes them a lot easier to work with, mainly because I dont need to worry about colours and tones matching up so much. This is a completely new way of working for me and I feel like Im finally growing as an artist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Landscape Paintings report

For this report, we are to choose two paintings with a different style and respond to them and compare. I have chosen work by John Constable and Casper David Friedrich. I am very familiar with John Constable's work as I have admired it for years. He is an inspiration to me in regards to painting landscapes and I strive to be as detailed as him one day. I feel like I need to learn more about the media and understand what media is best for what I want to do. Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (1818) – Caspar David Friedrich Oil on Canvas Casper David Friedrich is another artist who I think about a lot. He is a fantastic landscape painter from the 19th century  who was part of the German Romantic movement and is considered as one of the most important painters of that time. I chose to talk about this painting mainly because of the feeling I get when I look at it. It gives me a great sense of freedom and peace which I love. It makes me wish that I was the one standing on top of the

Constructing Gender

The basis of Constructing gender is to do with society and culture creating gender roles, and these roles are prescribed as ideal or appropriate behavior for a person of that specific sex. when this comes to art, a lot of artist rebel against this idea and they make strong statement through their work. I will touch upon this within this report. Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair Frida Kahlo (Mexican, 1907–1954) 1940. Oil on canvas, 15 3/4 x 11" (40 x 27.9 cm) This Painting at first glance gives me a feeling of a very strong woman who is making a statement about how woman are forced to look. she has cut her hair short and she is wearing a very masculine suit. It is like she is saying she stating that she is not going to be held down by what society tells her to do or how she should look I read that Frida Kahlo cut her hair short a month after her divorce from fellow artist Diego Rivera, and she painted this self-portrait soon after. She depicte

Project Brief

For this Unit we were to write out our own briefs. So I decided to go off of the layout of most of the briefs that we get on the course which I wrote out in my notebook. Ive decided to upload it onto here for easy access. This is what I came up with. Project Brief I am  going to create work related to the chosen theme - Me I will  be doing a series of drawings and experiments related to my Surrealist photography work. I will also be doing be researching relevant materials that are suitable for the type of sculptures I want to create. As well as referencing relevant artists I will then go on to do small conceptual sculptures of my ideas in order to get a solid idea of what I want to create, on a bigger more life like scale. The only thing I will struggle with is the time restraint. It takes a long time to plan and execute sculpture ideas. I'm hoping that if I keep my ideas small and realistic, I will overcome this obstacle. Week 1 and 2 I will be planing out this brief