Skip to main content

Ansel Adams - Works and Techniques

For our photography unit we are to research different techniques of taking a photograph. Ive decided to focus on Ansel Adams for my first report. His work impresses me with the detail and the sense of scale he translates to his imagery.

Technique and Equipment
Adams was well known for his work in the darkroom in which in produced every image by himself. So to better understand this technique I looked up the process from start to finish. Like the name suggests the photographer would work in a dark room because the photographic paper could easily be ruined when exposed to light. This techniques sound slightly tricky to me and the risk of ruining the image is quite high. The waiting period to see the results of the photograph would be quite stressful for me. Possibly because I'm so used to seeing my results instantly which allows me to retake the image if I need to adjust the angle.

This technique is still used today but it isn't as popular due to the rise of the more instant photography techniques like Polaroid and digital. It is still a very sot after skill to have for most professional photographers. I'm hoping to try it at some point in the near future, I'm aware that their are black rooms workshops dotted about in Edinburgh

The Photographic Paper


Advertisement for Ansco Cyko photographic paper, 1922
The photographic paper seems to be the key part of the process. There's a great deal of chemistry at work here going by the use of chemicals to create this light sensitive paper. To start with, the sheet of photographic paper is exposed to a controlled light source which passes through the negative photograph, a positive version of the image is left on the paper. its a fascinating process.

Although all of this sound very time consuming, I cant deny that the results are breath taking and worth the wait. Of course it depends on the knowledge of the photographer and skill. But I believe the main thing to have is patience.


Chemicals
I read that the main chemical is called a developer, which causes the silver iodide of the film or paper emulsion to darken if it has been exposed to light, and the other is a fixer, which removes the undeveloped silver iodide from the emulsion. These chemicals used in this process sound quite harmful. I read that the chemicals can cause dry rashes, warts and more to some people. So gloves would need to be worn at all times I'd imagine. I'm not known for being safety conscious, so this would worry me.



Oak Tree Snow Storm 1948
 
 This first image really caught my eye and made me go "wow" at the sheer beauty of it. This is one of those photographs where he captures the immense force and beauty of nature. Their is a lot of white tones in this photograph from the snow and the sharp contrast of the tree bark is extremely effective, its something I try and achive in my own work. I think contrasts are very important when create powerful, effective images, which is what I try and achieve.. I noticed that the subject is in the middle of the image, which sometimes isn't effective in creating a dynamic feel, but that's not the case here I feel. The scale is effective in that he gives me the sense of height and distance from the camera. Its just an all round great photograph in my opinion and it has inspired me to look more into landscape photgraphy.

Saguaro Cactus 1942

Now this photograph made me look more than twice after browsing through a bunch of Adams work. Its almost like a Macro photograph as it shows the spikes in great detail and the grooves. It's the textures of the spikes that I really liked about this, the way the light swoops around the front and catching the spikes as the disappear around the front. I like the angle he chose here, I use this angle a lot in my photographs. It emphasises the height and scale of the subject which I find adds a very dramatic element to the image. This is possibly the reason I like this image so much, because I can relate it to my own work.


Sources
https://shop.anseladams.com/Oak_Tree_Snow_Storm_p/1701138104.htm

https://shop.anseladams.com/Saguaro_Cactus_p/1701160103.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkroom

http://science.answers.com/Q/What_chemicals_are_used_in_a_dark_room


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Landscape Paintings report

For this report, we are to choose two paintings with a different style and respond to them and compare. I have chosen work by John Constable and Casper David Friedrich. I am very familiar with John Constable's work as I have admired it for years. He is an inspiration to me in regards to painting landscapes and I strive to be as detailed as him one day. I feel like I need to learn more about the media and understand what media is best for what I want to do. Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (1818) – Caspar David Friedrich Oil on Canvas Casper David Friedrich is another artist who I think about a lot. He is a fantastic landscape painter from the 19th century  who was part of the German Romantic movement and is considered as one of the most important painters of that time. I chose to talk about this painting mainly because of the feeling I get when I look at it. It gives me a great sense of freedom and peace which I love. It makes me wish that I was the one standing on top of the

Constructing Gender

The basis of Constructing gender is to do with society and culture creating gender roles, and these roles are prescribed as ideal or appropriate behavior for a person of that specific sex. when this comes to art, a lot of artist rebel against this idea and they make strong statement through their work. I will touch upon this within this report. Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair Frida Kahlo (Mexican, 1907–1954) 1940. Oil on canvas, 15 3/4 x 11" (40 x 27.9 cm) This Painting at first glance gives me a feeling of a very strong woman who is making a statement about how woman are forced to look. she has cut her hair short and she is wearing a very masculine suit. It is like she is saying she stating that she is not going to be held down by what society tells her to do or how she should look I read that Frida Kahlo cut her hair short a month after her divorce from fellow artist Diego Rivera, and she painted this self-portrait soon after. She depicte

Project Brief

For this Unit we were to write out our own briefs. So I decided to go off of the layout of most of the briefs that we get on the course which I wrote out in my notebook. Ive decided to upload it onto here for easy access. This is what I came up with. Project Brief I am  going to create work related to the chosen theme - Me I will  be doing a series of drawings and experiments related to my Surrealist photography work. I will also be doing be researching relevant materials that are suitable for the type of sculptures I want to create. As well as referencing relevant artists I will then go on to do small conceptual sculptures of my ideas in order to get a solid idea of what I want to create, on a bigger more life like scale. The only thing I will struggle with is the time restraint. It takes a long time to plan and execute sculpture ideas. I'm hoping that if I keep my ideas small and realistic, I will overcome this obstacle. Week 1 and 2 I will be planing out this brief