Skip to main content

Trip to the Hawick Museum Exhibition and some Photography


So I woke up today far too early (especially for a sunday) and had the urge to visit an exhibition as I'm wanting to keep my motivation up and keep finding new inspirations. I remember my lecturer mentioned that a great exhibition is showing at the Hawick Museum, so off I went.

Apon arriving to the museum I realised that I had an hour to spare before it opens. So I decided to wander around the park and take pictures, thinking about perspective. These are some of the results..





I then decided to play around with them and add some different effects. I wasn't going for a specific look, I was just going through different filters until the image took on a new look and feel.








The Surge Exhibition


So I made my way back to the museum and I finally started the tour of the exhibit. there was some great work and techniques on display. I have taken photographs but I wont post them on here as they wouldn't do them justice. its very much an exhibition in which you have to experience first hand. but I will explain, the best I can, the pieces I found most interesting.

This is some of the backstory behind the exhibition
which was on the wall next to the entrance
 
They had a good selection of leaflets with some helpful information

Katie Andersons work was very unusual yet intriguing. Her work was influenced by found materials, she had displayed a number of name tags from clothing manufacturers on one frame with the caption "the mark of the maker" which was a really well suited title I thought. it has a power to it. She likes to make her art as engaging as possible and I think she accomplishes this.
My favourite piece from this exhibition was work from Colin Tennant. He displayed so very impressive photographs that showed great vision and some clever ways of creating man made filters, such as a sheet of cloth in front of the camera with the light showing through, silhouetting the subject with light. he has an unique way of abstracting the image which I am very keen to try out. 
And the artist who I found most engaging and the most clever, was Sarah Stewart. She created these fantastic wooden constructions in which she instructed the viewer to turn the wheel on the side of the boxes. This would turn the reel of imagery, creating a sort of flipbook animation. Seeing this has made me think of different ways of producing a number of still images in which I could put together in a similar way and animate.
This little trip was extremely beneficial and is helping me keep my creative momentum. It has set my mind racing with possible ideas for the future and I look forward to the next exhibition visit. It will more than likely be the Scottish national Gallery. Cant wait to dive deeper into the art world




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Landscape Paintings report

For this report, we are to choose two paintings with a different style and respond to them and compare. I have chosen work by John Constable and Casper David Friedrich. I am very familiar with John Constable's work as I have admired it for years. He is an inspiration to me in regards to painting landscapes and I strive to be as detailed as him one day. I feel like I need to learn more about the media and understand what media is best for what I want to do. Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (1818) – Caspar David Friedrich Oil on Canvas Casper David Friedrich is another artist who I think about a lot. He is a fantastic landscape painter from the 19th century  who was part of the German Romantic movement and is considered as one of the most important painters of that time. I chose to talk about this painting mainly because of the feeling I get when I look at it. It gives me a great sense of freedom and peace which I love. It makes me wish that I was the one standing on top of the

Constructing Gender

The basis of Constructing gender is to do with society and culture creating gender roles, and these roles are prescribed as ideal or appropriate behavior for a person of that specific sex. when this comes to art, a lot of artist rebel against this idea and they make strong statement through their work. I will touch upon this within this report. Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair Frida Kahlo (Mexican, 1907–1954) 1940. Oil on canvas, 15 3/4 x 11" (40 x 27.9 cm) This Painting at first glance gives me a feeling of a very strong woman who is making a statement about how woman are forced to look. she has cut her hair short and she is wearing a very masculine suit. It is like she is saying she stating that she is not going to be held down by what society tells her to do or how she should look I read that Frida Kahlo cut her hair short a month after her divorce from fellow artist Diego Rivera, and she painted this self-portrait soon after. She depicte

Project Brief

For this Unit we were to write out our own briefs. So I decided to go off of the layout of most of the briefs that we get on the course which I wrote out in my notebook. Ive decided to upload it onto here for easy access. This is what I came up with. Project Brief I am  going to create work related to the chosen theme - Me I will  be doing a series of drawings and experiments related to my Surrealist photography work. I will also be doing be researching relevant materials that are suitable for the type of sculptures I want to create. As well as referencing relevant artists I will then go on to do small conceptual sculptures of my ideas in order to get a solid idea of what I want to create, on a bigger more life like scale. The only thing I will struggle with is the time restraint. It takes a long time to plan and execute sculpture ideas. I'm hoping that if I keep my ideas small and realistic, I will overcome this obstacle. Week 1 and 2 I will be planing out this brief