Skip to main content

Photography- Birth of Photography


For our photography unit we are to write about the different techniques of capturing a photograph. I figured that the best place to start would be the first reported evidence of photography, and take it from there. I did research and found out that a man by the name of Joseph Nicephore Niepce, produced what is believed to be the first ever photo from a window of his estate in France. He used a technique called Heliography


First recorded photograph by Joseph Nicephore Niepce

I read that the process involved using a naturally occurring asphalt, as a coating on glass and sometimes metal. It hardened when exposed to light. When the plate was washed with oil of lavender, only the hardened areas remained. This sounds like a very clever way of create an image but its not one I feel I can fully review as I wont be able to try this myself. This technique sounds more like a science experiment than photography, but come to think of it, chemistry and photography are closely related when it comes to these kinds of techniques.


Camera Oscura apparatus from around 1770-1775 

Camera Obscura
The name in Latin means Dark Chamber and it consisted of a dark room with light coming through a single tiny hole. The image will be inverted and onto the whitened surface inside the box in which a draftsman or painter would trace the image. This sounds a lot like solargraphy which we have been looking at in class, but the main difference is that the light does all the work when it comes to the solar can. Its interesting to see how photography has evolved so much with new techniques being found regularly.

I'm not sure if I would call Camera Obscura a good example of photography as it seems to rely on the skills of the draftsman to portray the projected images accurately. So it may lose the consistency due to that factor. I suppose over the years the technology has evolved to point where we have to do little to no work to produce a photograph, all we have to do nowadays is point and shoot and the camera does the work. All we need is the vision and timing to capture the right image at the right time which is a skill in itself.


The Magic Lantern
I read that in 1659 the Magic Lantern was introduced and replaced the Camera Obscura as a projector device. The camera Obscura was mainly popular as a drawing aid but the Magic Lantern was said to be the upgraded version of that. This devices was mainly used for entertainment and educational purposes but it was definitely a step forward in the world of imagery. A compact version was then introduced in the 20th century which could hold many 35mm photographic slides.

19th century magic lantern with printed slide inserted

This contraption is mainly more for displaying images printed onto slides but the idea behind it seems like a step in the right direction. And the progression to making it more compact in the later years makes it a much more practical use as apposed to the much larger contraption of the camera obscura.



Final thoughts
Looking back at the beginning of photography has been enlightening, I wasn't aware of what was considered a photograph back then. Some of these examples require a lot of manual work to achieve and some might argue that it is the skill and knowledge of the practitioner, and not the equipment that leads to these images being created. It sounds like a lot of work, but we had to start somewhere, photography has evolved so much since, but it wouldn't be the same if techniques like these didn't kick start the idea of capturing a still image.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Landscape Paintings report

For this report, we are to choose two paintings with a different style and respond to them and compare. I have chosen work by John Constable and Casper David Friedrich. I am very familiar with John Constable's work as I have admired it for years. He is an inspiration to me in regards to painting landscapes and I strive to be as detailed as him one day. I feel like I need to learn more about the media and understand what media is best for what I want to do. Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (1818) – Caspar David Friedrich Oil on Canvas Casper David Friedrich is another artist who I think about a lot. He is a fantastic landscape painter from the 19th century  who was part of the German Romantic movement and is considered as one of the most important painters of that time. I chose to talk about this painting mainly because of the feeling I get when I look at it. It gives me a great sense of freedom and peace which I love. It makes me wish that I was the one standing on top of the

Constructing Gender

The basis of Constructing gender is to do with society and culture creating gender roles, and these roles are prescribed as ideal or appropriate behavior for a person of that specific sex. when this comes to art, a lot of artist rebel against this idea and they make strong statement through their work. I will touch upon this within this report. Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair Frida Kahlo (Mexican, 1907–1954) 1940. Oil on canvas, 15 3/4 x 11" (40 x 27.9 cm) This Painting at first glance gives me a feeling of a very strong woman who is making a statement about how woman are forced to look. she has cut her hair short and she is wearing a very masculine suit. It is like she is saying she stating that she is not going to be held down by what society tells her to do or how she should look I read that Frida Kahlo cut her hair short a month after her divorce from fellow artist Diego Rivera, and she painted this self-portrait soon after. She depicte

Project Brief

For this Unit we were to write out our own briefs. So I decided to go off of the layout of most of the briefs that we get on the course which I wrote out in my notebook. Ive decided to upload it onto here for easy access. This is what I came up with. Project Brief I am  going to create work related to the chosen theme - Me I will  be doing a series of drawings and experiments related to my Surrealist photography work. I will also be doing be researching relevant materials that are suitable for the type of sculptures I want to create. As well as referencing relevant artists I will then go on to do small conceptual sculptures of my ideas in order to get a solid idea of what I want to create, on a bigger more life like scale. The only thing I will struggle with is the time restraint. It takes a long time to plan and execute sculpture ideas. I'm hoping that if I keep my ideas small and realistic, I will overcome this obstacle. Week 1 and 2 I will be planing out this brief